Thursday, November 12, 2009

This Is Not a Diet Blog

I'm starting this blog as a simple way to document my homemade recipes. I love to play with recipes to make them healthier (all the while maintaining flavor, or in a lot of cases, increasing the flavor!). If a few people try and enjoy my recipes, and live a little healthier because of it, then that's an added bonus!

To me, healthy is not about decreasing calories, although in many of my recipes this turns out to be a great outcome. Sure, it is about taking things out (I often cut sugar and butter in half, or more), but it is more about adding/changing ingredients to increase nutritional value (I almost always sub whole wheat flour for white). I use "real", whole foods as much as possible, and avoid HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and hydrogenated oils. There really is no need for either of those substances in your diet. I do maintain the stance of "everything in moderation", but to me, that means splurging when I can't help it, such as at the movies, a friend's house, or a restaurant. However, I go to restaurants about once a week, and the movies far less often.

I don't diet. I love food too much. Yet, I maintain a healthy weight (post baby). This is not a diet blog, but rather, a deliciously healthy way of cooking, baking, and eating. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment