Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

My friend, Robin, brought her pumpkin chocolate chip muffins to playgroup one day and they were amazing! I had to have the recipe.


I knew that I would want to make them often this fall and winter, so I decided to make modifications in order to create a healthier recipe. They are still completely delicious (and of course still contain chocolate chips). Here is the original list of ingredients:


1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tspn salt
1 tspn baking soda
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
2 eggs
8 oz pumpkin
6 oz chocolate chips



Here is my modified list of ingredients:

1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tspn salt
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
2 eggs (I use organic)
3/4 cup plain low fat yogurt (I use organic)
8 oz pumpkin
4 oz chocolate chips



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin (I use 100% canola oil spray), and pour the batter directly into the tin (no need to use muffin cups). Mix the first five ingredients in a large bowl, then add remaining ingredients and mix. (Easy, right??)


Bake for 20 minutes.

Watch carefully at the end, and do not overbake. I start checking them by doing the toothpick test around 20 minutes, and sometimes they need about 22 minutes. When the toothpick no longer comes out with batter, place the muffin tin directly onto a cooling rack for about 30 minutes. Then, using a spoon, gently work the muffins out of the tin.


This recipe yields 12 muffins.

Enjoy with a glass of skim milk or a mug of green tea. :-)


2 comments:

  1. i'm about to try to substitue in the yogurt for half of the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yogurt substitute!!! I made two batches today and I found out with the second batch that adding extra pumpkin (not sure how much...didn't measure)and walnuts made the muffins taste even better. I also used only egg whites (2 egg whites per one egg) to cut out the additional cholesterol and fat while doubling up on protein. Thanks for the tips! I'm going to continue to use the yogurt to help cut down on the butter in the future. I made a recipe almost identical to this one the first time i tried pumpkin choc chip muffins and it was just ok. now that i'm on my third batch, I feel like they just keep tasting better each time. I think the yogurt helped make them nice and moist. Great recipe. thanks again. Can't wait to make them next month when I host the next play date for the babies in our building.

    ReplyDelete