Monday, November 23, 2009

Simple Monday Meal: Chicken, Rice and Broccoli

Using the chicken breasts (skin on, bone in) from my freezer (with spices, olive oil, and vinegar), frozen broccoli, and basmati rice, I made a simple, healthy meal without running to the store.



First, I mixed two parts olive oil (about 1/4 cup), with two parts water, and one part white balsamic vinegar in a large ziploc bag. Then I added a bunch of spices without measuring, but about a tspn of each (garlic salt, onion powder, fresh ground lemon pepper, tarragon, and fresh ground black pepper). I added the chicken breasts to the bag, sealed it, and shook the bag up to coat the chicken. I placed the bag in the fridge for about an hour prior to cooking (you can let it sit for a few hours or even all day if you want to).

While the chicken is marinating in the fridge, cook the rice. I usually cook rice ahead of time by as much as an hour, and let it sit on the stove. It actually tastes better to me when it's "old", and it will stay hot if you keep the lid on the pot. Since I used basmati rice, I added four cups of water and two cups of rice to the pot. I added a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt. Stir it up and bring it to a boil. As soon as it is boiling, place the lid on top and turn it down to medium heat. Check it after about 20 minutes, and when it looks done, fluff it with a spoon, turn the heat off and let it sit on the stove with the lid in place.

*We usually stick to brown rice, but occasionally eat basmatti rice. My sister got me hooked on this basmati rice. It is insanely good!*






Preheat the oven to BROIL, and place the chicken in a foil lined (or greased) 9x13 inch pan inside the oven. Broil the chicken for approximately 10 minutes.

Then, turn the oven down to 375 degrees on BAKE, and continue to bake the chicken for about 40 minutes. Check that it is done by cutting into a thick area of the breast. The meat should no longer be pink and the juice should run clear.


Preparing the broccoli is simple. I used frozen broccoli (which is as healthy as fresh), and I did it the lazy way...in the microwave! I usually steam veggies on the stove, which is also easy, but I decided to do it the slightly quicker way tonight. Place some frozen broccoli in a glass pyrex dish, add water (about 1/2 inch deep), place the lid on the dish slightly crooked, leaving a small crack on one of the sides to vent, and microwave for two minutes. Take it out, stir it up, and microwave for two more minutes. It will come out perfectly steamed and ready to serve.


I sliced up a fresh pineapple we had in the fridge for another side dish (I love adding fresh fruit for a side at dinner; it's sweet and healthy!) Pairing pineapple with chicken and rice makes me feel like we're in Hawaii. Well, sort of. They just complement each other well. :)


This is a simple dinner but it sure is delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment