Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Missing Ingredients = Accidental Muffins!


So, yesterday I decided to make some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. It didn't go quite as expected.

I preheated the oven, and realized that I was out of whole wheat flour. No big deal, I decided I would splurge and use regular white flour. I mixed the flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl, and went to the fridge to get out the butter and sugar. It was then that I realized we were completely out of sugar! I decided that I would use some extra applesauce in place of the sugar, and hopefully they would turn out ok.

As I went to pull two eggs out of the fridge, I realized that I had used them all up making breakfast two days earlier. So, I guess there is something to be said about grocery shopping every weekend (I skipped it this week in order to use up what's in our fridge; see blog from last Thursday). Eggs are a pretty major ingredient in baking. After trying to borrow from a neighbor who turned out not to be home, I decided to dig through the fridge for some replacement ingredients.

I settled on a container of Audrey's YoBaby yogurt (peach flavored). I figured that the yogurt mixed with about a cup of applesauce and extra pumpkin would be enough to replace the eggs and sugar. It turned out that the muffins were absolutely delicious! I MAY not use sugar in them in the future. :)

Here's yesterday's accidental recipe:

1 3/4 cup flour
1 tspn baking soda
1/4 tspn salt
1 T pumpkin pie spice
Approx 12 oz pumpkin
1 container Yo Baby yogurt
1 cup applesauce
3/4 stick of butter, softened
6 oz chocolate chips

I mixed all of the ingredients together, and baked them in a greased muffin tin at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment