Monday, January 31, 2011

White Chicken Chili


First off, YUM. Seriously, this is so good, and soooo easy. You must make it. You won't be sorry.

We went to the gym after Audrey woke up from her nap this afternoon (her third nap this week, we're on a roll!!!), and hit Trader Joe's afterward when it was super busy with after-work people. I literally tossed a few ingredients into the cart and headed home with both babies.

It's such an easy concoction that I was able to make it in about 15 minutes, while simultaneously feeding an early dinner to my toddler, making a bottle for my six month old, unloading groceries, and catching up with my husband who had just returned home from work.

This is what I used:

shredded chicken (I used TJ's canned chicken. Don't judge. I have never even thought of using it before, but it called out to me from the shelf when it knew how late we were running for dinner/bedtime. Because I used it in chili, you can't even tell.)
1/2 of a white onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
1 can of white kidney beans
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of corn
1/3 jar of salsa verde
1/4 jar of salsa (see picture for size of jar)
about 2/3 cup monterey jack cheese, cubed
about 1/3 cup pepper jack cheese (or jalapeno monterey jack cheese), cubed (to taste...use more pepper jack if you like spice, and use less pepper jack/more monterey jack if you like a more mild flavor)
2/3 cup water

Pour olive oil into a large pot on medium heat, and add the onions. After about a minute, add the chicken and stir. Add the water to the pot, followed by everything else. See, it's easy. :-) Just make sure you stir constantly so the cheese melts evenly and doesn't burn. Turn it down to low heat after the cheese cubes are melted, and let it cook for another 10 minutes or so. Stir every 2-3 minutes during that time. Spoon into bowls and enjoy! I served it with some french bread we had in the freezer. It would also be really good with corn bread or tortilla chips.

3 comments:

  1. April, just made this, it's delicious, did you make up the recipe? Aside from the onions, which I cooked, I just stuck everything else in the crockpot (I used frozen breast tenderloins I had in the freezer.) I tasted it now, mmmmmm! It's on warm and ready for dinner in a couple hours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got inspiration from allrecipes.com as far as using white beans, but came up with my own recipe. I knew I couldn't go wrong with salsa and cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete