Monday, May 17, 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes



I spotted a recipe for Nigel Barker's banana pancakes in a recent issue of People Magazine, and decided to try it out. Here is the list of ingredients for 10-12 pancakes:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch nutmeg
2 pinches cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
sliced strawberries and bananas (optional)

I made two small changes to the recipe...I added a lot more than two pinches of cinnamon, more like 3 teaspoons (I love cinnamon, and tend to always add extra), and I used canola oil in place of the veggie oil.

Directions:

Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, veggie oil, vanilla and bananas.

Stir flour mixture into banana mixture (batter will be slightly lumpy).


Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides. Top with fruit if desired. Serve hot.

**TIP**
Do not use more than 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. I used a little too much for the first few pancakes, and it was hard to tell if the pancakes were done, or if they just had banana oozing out of them. Go for the smaller pancakes and they will be easier to cook properly. :-)

As you can see, Audrey was very happy with the results. :-) I refrigerated the leftovers and have served them to her three mornings in a row.

***TIP*** To me, the strawberries and bananas were not really optional. The strawberries especially bring out the sweetness of the pancakes, and without them the pancakes are almost bland. In order to really make it a healthy breakfast, add the strawberries and skip the syrup!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I had copied this recipe from the magazine and have been using it quite a bit but recently misplaced it. My family is very happy that I was able to find it here. :)

    ReplyDelete