Saturday, May 22, 2010

One of My Favorite Dishes~~Enchiladas!


This is a recipe I have been making for years, and every time I make it I change it up a bit. I usually use ground turkey (which I did this time), but the enchiladas are also delicious with shredded or chopped chicken, or ground beef. I also sometimes saute the veggies in butter (this time onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and black beans), but I left out the butter this time.

The best tortillas I have found at the store are the handmade ones from Trader Joe's. They have flour ones and whole wheat ones. This time I used the flour ones. They are so so good!


Ingredients:

1-1.5 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
Trader Joe's Flour Tortillas
Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce
One can Trader Joe's Organic Black Beans (I often use dried beans, but they take more preparation)
One small can green chilies
One small/medium tomato, chopped (not too fine)
One small onion, chopped (not too fine)
1/2 cup salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

Brown the ground turkey. Drain if necessary.

Add the chopped onion and tomato to the ground turkey, and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the can of black beans (if using dried black beans, add them when you add the onion), and the can of green chilies. Stir for another minute while cooking on medium heat.

Stir in the Greek yogurt and salsa and continue to cook on low heat.
Fill one tortilla at a time with a large spoonfull of the mixture, about 2/3 cup, and sprinkle cheese on top of the meat mixture. Wrap the tortilla closed, and place it on one end of a greased glass baking dish. Do the same 4-5 more times, depending on how full each tortilla is and how many will fit in the dish.


Pour the bottle of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. After 20 minutes, remove the enchiladas from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheese over them, and bake for another 7-10 minutes.

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I love enchiladas... I mean really love them and anything I can do to make them even better I'm all for! I will have to check out the enchilada sauce at TJs for sure now! :)

    ReplyDelete