Sunday, March 14, 2010

Banana Bread With a (Spinach/Flax/Pecan) Twist!




It's hard to create a recipe that is really, truly healthy and extremely tasty at the same time. But I have to say, I may have done it with this one! :)

Audrey, my former fabulously non-picky one year-old, has now become Audrey, my typical toddler, when it comes to eating. One day she loves sweet potatoes, the next day she hates them. One day she can't get enough cheese, the next day she throws it at our dog.

So, I am constantly looking for ways to combine a lot of healthy ingredients into one yummy dish that she will devour. (Just last week I added a ton of spinach to my spaghetti pie, and she gobbled it up!)
It turns out, she is in love with this recipe (for now!), so I am satisfied that she is getting a balanced meal as she eats it. ***Like all recipes containing nuts, be sure to pick out any large chunks/pieces before feeding to a toddler.***

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 stick (or 1/4 cup) butter
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2/3 cup plain organic low fat yogurt
2/3 cup frozen chopped spinach
4 T ground flaxseed
3 large bananas (or 4 small/medium ones)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I ran out of walnuts, and the pecans were a great sub!)





Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and set aside. In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), blend the sugar and butter until fluffy, then add the eggs. Beat for a minute or so, then add the yogurt and vanilla and continue to blend on medium speed.



While blending on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Finally, sprinkle in the flax seed, then add the bananas and pecans, and lightly mix until just combined.

Pour into a greased (I use spray canola oil) bread pan, and bake at 350 for about 45-55 minutes. Check with a toothpick or knife after 45 minutes to see if it's done. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment